May 31 2020

Greece-STUBC 2019 Bonus

Yo and Whuddup bros!

This post will be a dot-point notation style informative piece about the country Greece.

INTRODUCTION

  • Greece is a European country with hundreds of little islands dotted around the Ionian and Mediterranian Sea
  • It has a population of 10.72 million
  • It covers 131,957 square kilometres
  • The main religion in Greece is Orthodox Christian at 90% of the population, with Muslim, Catholic, Jewish and other minorities being the remaining 10%
  • The capital of Greece is Athens, named after its patron godess Athena

 

ANCIENT GREECE TIMELINE/HISTORY

  • Archaeological studies have found that the nation of Greece had been around as early as 11,000BC
  • During the 5th century BC (classical period, which was 6th-4th century BC) the foundations of Western Civilisation was created in Athens. This city-state excelled and helped to develop areas such as philosophy, music, drama and democracy
  • The allied Greek forces were able to defeat the Persians but the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta (the two most powerful and biggest cities) that followed ultimately led to te downfall of the Classical Period
  • At around this time, the Kingdom of Macedon, under Alexander the Great, is rising after having conquered the smaller towns in the area.
  • From 168BC, the rising Roman Empire conquers Greece. The Romans base their religions off of the Greek Olympian Gods, Greek is a second language in Rome, and many new cities are constucted. However Athens and the Greek culture generally decline

LANDMARKS AND DESTINATIONS

  • Greece is culturaly diverse, and has many interesting attractions and buildings
  • Some landmarks include: the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Melassali Lake Cave, Samothraki Hot Springs,  Syntagma Square, Kingdom of Knossos, azure-blue beaches, Monastries of Meteora and more
  • There are many ruins and ancient temples from ancient times to visit and explore
  • Lots of beautiful, sandy and blue beaches as well as coastal settlements
  • Bright, vivid coloured buildings

 

HOLIDAY

  • One Greek holiday is Greek Orthodox Easter
  • Tsoureki, a sweet, three layered easter brioche that is spiced with mahleb is made or brought, served with a red-dyed easter egg in the middle
  • People decorate the Epitaphios, bells ring multiple times throughout the day, a Good Friday Mass is held, and there is a procession around the church
  • Evening Mass with fireworks and bells
  • Ressurection of Christ begins at Midnight, and people light white candles
  • After Mass they have a Ressurection Dinner
  • Eggs are dyed red, symbolising the blood of Christ. Family members choose an egg and crack it on top of another person’s. Whoever has the cracked egg loses. This continues until there is only one person left, who is said to have good luck for the rest of the year

 

The Epitaphios laid onto the decorated bier, as used in the Church of Y. Th. Odigitria, taken by Dimitris Arvanitis from Wiki Commons under the license Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

 

FOOD

  • Greek food has been influenced by the Persians and includes yogurt, rice, honey and nuts
  • Some food include: dips such as tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber and garlic), melitzanosalata (aubergine), and fava (creamy split pea purée), souvlaki, grilled meat, olives, moussaka, dolmades, seafood, feta cheese with salads, baclava and more

 

NOTE: All photos have been sourced from a creative commons zero archive or has been retrieved from creative commons with proper acknowledgement.

 

Greeka Greece History

BBC Good Food Top 10 Dishes To Try Greece

14 of the Most Beautiful Natural Wonders in Greece

Greek Easter Traditions You Should Know


Posted May 31, 2020 by summersummo in category Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*